In the 3rd kilometre of the motorway Riga-Tallinn, sits the Riga Water Supply Museum. It has operated since 1988 and provides information on the four centuries-long Riga City water supply system. The origin of the Riga centralized water supply can be found in the middle of the 17th century, when a horse-drawn water pumping system and wooden pipe system, by which citizens of Riga were provided with water directly from the Daugava River, was constructed.
The Riga Water Supply Museum is located in the premises of the Old Baltezers Water Pumping House, which operated from 1904 to 1950. Compound type steam machines, cast iron siphon tubes and pressure tubes, manufactured in Riga, Felzer and Factory, as well as boilers, manufactured in R. Poles Factory in Riga, can be seen in the Museum. Riga Water Towers can be seen at the Museum, as well.
The Museum is open Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00-14:00. Additional information: +371 67990127.